Chana chaat | A healthy breakfast
Chana chaat is prepared from black chickpea. It’s also called as Bengal gram/kala chana or garbanzo bean. I generally prefer sprouted pulses for breakfast for their protein rich qualities. It also makes my brother’s gym instructor happy, who always asks him to have high protein intake. Chickpeas are a nutrient-dense food, providing rich content of protein, dietary fibre, folate and certain dietary minerals such as iron and phosphorous. All these nutritional properties of chana makes this chaat recipe a healthy breakfast.
soaking time: over night or 6-8 hours
preparation time: 5 mins
cooking time: 10 mins
- black chickpea/kala chana : 1 cup (soaked over night or for 6-8 hours)
- asafoetida: a pinch
- onion: 1 medium sized, chopped fine
- tomato: 1 large sized, chopped fine
- cumin seeds: 1 tspoon raw/roasted
- green chilli: 1 medium sized, chopped fine
- red chilli powder: according to taste
- chaat masala: according to taste
- salt: according to taste
- lemon juice: according to taste
- coriander leaves: chopped for garnishing
- Soak chickpea in water overnight or for 6-8 hours. You can also use canned chickpeas and skip step 2. They are already boiled and ready for making the chaat/curry.
- Drain water and put chickpeas in a pressure cooker. Add 2 cups of water, 1/2 tspoon salt and asafoetida. Close lid and let it boil for 4-5 whistles. Once pressure is down, open lid and check if the chickpeas are soft enough. If not, cook for some more time.
- Leave little water and drain the rest. This will prevent chaat of being over dry and tough to eat.
- Transfer portion to serving bowl and top with some chopped green chillies, onion and tomatoes. You can also add your choice of vegetables to add more flavour to chaat.
- Sprinkle the spices: cumin seeds, red chilli powder, salt, chaat masala and lemon drops. All these should be adjusted according to the taste and how hot/spicy you want it.
- Garnish with some fresh chopped coriander leaves and serve. Boiled chickpeas served hot taste better in this chaat.
Enjoy this chatpata though healthy chaat and share your comments below!