Vegetable Stock – Homemade Vegetable Stock Recipe
Vegetable Stock is flavoured liquid prepared with combination of veggies. It forms the basis of many dishes particularly soups, sauces and salads. You can of course buy readymade stock from super market or grocery shop but the stock prepared at home has it’s own fresh aroma and it tastes way better than market bought stock cubes or liquids.
Preparing vegetable stock is an easy job. You just have to simmer roughly chopped vegetables and strain. Good thing is, you can store them in air tight bottles in refrigerator for about 2 months. I usually make vegetable stock in bulk and store it. It saves a lot time while you are making your actual dish. Simmering vegetables generally take an hour or above, so I usually make it in parallel to my other cooking.
Onions, Celery and Carrots are the primary vegetables to give base to your stock, which you can of course swap with other vegetables of your choice. I am using onions, celery, carrots, funnel, cilantro, but you can consider using other vegetables as well. Some of the vegetables ideal for preparing stock are – leeks, mushrooms, tomatoes, spring onions, parsley, thyme etc. The ratio of the vegetables can also be adjusted according to taste but it’s ideal to keep equal ratio of all the veggies so as to get a balanced flavour. If you want to add the spicy flavours to your actual dish, avoid adding garlic and peppercorns while preparing the stock. For the same purpose, I have not added salt in here.
Enjoy the step by step recipe to prepare Vegetable Stock here:
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
Yields: approx 1 lt. stock
- onion: 2 medium size, unpeeled and diced
- celery: 4-5, diced
- carrot: 2-3 large size, diced
- funnel bulb: 1 large size, diced
- garlic: 3 cloves, large size(optional)
- cilantro/parsley: 8-10 sprig
- bayleaf: 2-3
- peppercorn: 10-12
- olive oil: 2 tblsp
- wash and scrub the vegetables and roughly dice them. Do not bother to peel the onion or garlic as they give nice flavour and colour to the stock. If you wish, you could trim the head though. We also do not want fine chopped veggies here, so you could leave large chunks here.
- Heat oil in a pot, large enough to carry all the vegetables and water to cover them.
- Throw in garlic, bayleaf, peppercorn and all the chopped vegetable. Stir them and cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables sweat.
- Add cold water enough to cover the vegetables till top and a little more. You can adjust the amount of water depending on how concentrated stock you wish to achieve. Less water means the stock flavour will be concentrated.
- Simmer for about an hour or more, till the veggies leave their flavour. You can check by mashing a piece of carrot. It should be soft.
- The stock preparation is done. Put down stove. Let it cool and strain.
Try this easy to prepare vegetable stock recipe and share feedback with me!