Thandai recipe | Refreshing summer drink
Thandai is refreshing and energetic drink, prepared with milk, well blended in spices and dry fruits. In India, it’s quite popular on occasion of Holi and Shivratri.
This drink acts as body coolant and is preferred specially in summers.
Readymade thandai mix are readily available in market, but aroma of fresh fennel in thandai is just amazing. Here is a quick and easy recipe to make thandai. I am sure, you are gonna love it.
Preparation time: 5 min
Soaking time: 2-3 hrs
Making time: 10 min
Yields: 2 Drinks
poppy seeds/khaskhas: 4 tbs
fresh fennel: 1 tbs
melon seeds: 1 tbs
black paper corn or crushed: 8-10
green cardamom: 2-3
sugar: 4 tbs
milk: 1/2 glass
grapes: 8-10 (optional)
rose petals: to garnish (optional)
saffron: to garnish (optional)
- Soak poppy seeds, fennel, almonds, cardamom, melon seeds and black paper corn in half cup of water for 2-3 hours. Do not add too much of water, as we will retain the extra water.
- Grind the soaked mixture to make a fine paste.
- Add milk in this paste and strain it with the help of a cotton/ muslin cloth. Pour water on it while straining to get maximum out of it.
- Add sugar and mix well. Add ice cubes, if you wish to serve immediately.
- Refreshing thandai is ready. Refrigerate the drink for some time as chilled thandai tastes best. Garnish thandai with rose petals or saffron strands and serve chilled.
Tip: Wash the poppy seeds with water and strain with help of strainer before soaking. This will remove the bitter taste of poppy seeds.
Serve this cool refreshing thandai to your guests next time. I am sure, you will get lot of fans..!
Please share your feedback. Enjoy!