Sabudana khichdi – Indori style
Weather you are on fasting or not, sabudana khichdi is one of the popular snack.
In Indore, you can find so many food carts selling Sabudana khichdi and all of them is very yummy. Whenever I am in Indore, I make sure to have this perfect snack at least once.
I always wondered why this so simple dish tasted so different on the street corner food stalls.I tried making many versions of sabudana khichdi but this Indori version is my favourite.
Here is the recipe of sabudana khichdi which you enjoy on the street corner food stalls.
Soaking time: 3-4 hrs
Preparation time: 10 min
Cooking time: 5-10 min
▪ sabudana : 2 cup
▪ potato: 2 medium sized, boiled and diced
▪ green chilli: 2-3 medium sized, chopped fine
▪ roasted peanut: 1/2 cup, roughly crushed
▪ buttermilk: 1/2 cup (for soaking)
▪ oil/ghee: 3 tbsp
▪ cumin seeds: 1 tsp
▪ black pepper powder: 1/2 tsp
▪ salt: 1 tsp or according to taste
▪ sugar: 2 tsp (optional)
▪ coriander leaves: for garnishing
1. Soak sabudana with the buttermilk and little water. Add water little above the sabudana level. Do not add too much of water as excessive water may cause lumps.
Tip: If you do not have buttermilk handy, you can use plain yogurt to make buttermilk. Mix three portions of plain yogurt with 1 portion of milk.
2. Once the sabudana become soft after approx 3-4 hours (You can check by squashing one pearl between your fingers), remove excessive water if any
4. Put pan/kadhai on a medium flame and add ghee or oil in it. I generally prefer ghee as it tastes better.
6. Add sabudana and other mixed ingredients.
8. Cook for 2-3 minutes and turn off the flame.
9. If you want to add sugar. Add at this point. Toss the khichdi and cover the lid for few more minutes.
10. Take out a portion in serving dish, add some lemon juice drops and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot as it is or with your favourite fariyali mixture. Enjoy and share the feedback with me!