Maa ki dal : creamy kaali dal recipe
I like the creamy texture of maa ki dal but if you are looking for more simpler and low fat recipe, you can avoid adding cream. Also, oil or ghee can be used instead of butter if one prefers so. But simmering dal in butter and flavoured with cream taste way better than normal cooking in oil.
There is another version of maa ki dal with red kidney beans – Dal Makhni, which I am planning post soon. For now, enjoy the simple step by step recipe to prepare this awesome dish – Maa ki dal.
Soaking time: Overnight or 6 hours
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 40 min
- sabut urad/ kaali dal: 1 cup, soaked overnight
- onion: 1 medium size, chopped fine
- tomato: 1 large size, pureed
- garlic: 3-4 cloves, minced
- ginger: 2 one inch pieces
- bay leaf(tej patta): 1
- dry whole red chilli: 2
- green cardamom(chhoti elaichi): 2
- cloves(laung): 2
- cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
- green chilli: 2 medium size, slit
- red chilli powder: 1/2 tsp
- garam masala: 1/2 tsp
- salt: 1 tsp or according to taste
- lemon: 1/2 (optional)
- butter: 2 tbsp
- oil: 1 tbsp
- fresh cream: 1/4 cup
- coriander leaves: 1 tbsp, chopped for garnishing
- Wash and drain overnight soaked dal. Make sure dal is soaked properly, otherwise it will take extra time to cook it.
To soak dal: Add water little more than to cover one cup dal. Leave overnight.
- Add dal, 1 piece fine chopped ginger and salt with 3 cups of water in pressure cooker. Boil till 4 to 5 whistles.
- Let pressure cooker cool till pressure is released. Meanwhile prepare for tadka.
- Heat butter and oil in pan/kadai on medium. Add cumin seeds, whole red chilli, bay leaf, clove and cardamom. Wait till cumin seeds crackle and red chilli becomes little dark.
- Add chopped/grated ginger-garlic and slit green chillies.
- Sauté till garlic becomes light brown. Then add chopped onions. Sauté onions till they become golden.
- Meanwhile prepare tomato puree. To make tomato puree, grind 1 large or 2 medium size tomatoes to smooth liquid.
- Add prepared tomato puree in the tadka. Stir in.
- Add the spices – red chilli powder, garam masala and salt to the tadka.
- Stir and cook until you see oil layer on top. Tadka for dal is ready.
- Open pressure cooker. Put on low flame without lid.
- Pour tadka in pressure cooker and give it a stir.
- Adjust water for your desired thickness of dal. Mix well and simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour in fresh cream and mix well. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Put down stove. Squeeze half a lemon for tangy flavour and mix gently. Creamy Maa ki dal is ready to be served.
Enjoy the recipe and share feedback with me!