Couscous Salad: A Healthy Summer Treat
Couscous can be instantly prepared by steaming or even soaking for few minutes. Couscous itself is bland in nature but can be nicely flavoured when soaked in various broth or stock. It’s fluffy when soaked and adds rich texture to many salads.
Couscous salads are one of my favourite salad choices. It can be served as an amazing side dish or you can have it as light meal option in summer days. I also like to carry soaked couscous and pack salad ingredients with me for day outings. It is a wonderful dish to be carried when you are going on hiking or day outings. No long meal preparations and no keeping warm or reheating problems. Plus the salad ingredients help you keep hydrated.
In this salad preparation, you can use your homemade vegetable broth/stock to soak couscous or you can use market bought broth as well. I have used refrigerator stored homemade vegetable broth. You can use instantly prepared stock as well. It saves a lot time to use stored stock though:) Find recipe for vegetable stock on my other post : Homemade Vegetable Stock
Enjoy this step by step recipe to prepare flavourful couscous salad and share feedback with me!
Soaking time: 10-15 min
Preparation time: 10 min
- couscous: 1 cup
- vegetable stock/broth: 1-1.5 cup
- cherry tomato:8-10, halved
- cucumber: 1/2, chopped
- sweet corn: 1 cup boiled/canned and drained
- spring onion: 1, chopped
- red pepper: 1/2, chopped
- parsley or coriander: 3 tbsp, chopped
- roasted nuts of your choice: 3 tbsp, roughly crushed
- lemon juice: 1/2 lemon or 2 tbsp
- black pepper powder: 1/4 tsp
- salt: 1/4 tsp tsp or according to taste
- olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Soak couscous in vegetable stock for about 15 minutes. Keep it aside.
- Meanwhile chop all the vegetables and add them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the crushed nuts. You can use any nuts of your choice. Ground nuts, cashews, almonds, hazel nuts, melon seeds taste wonderful.
- Add salt and pepper according to your taste. Mix everything.
- Take the soaked couscous in mixing and fluff it with spoon or fork.
- Add couscous in mixing bowl with other ingredients. Squeeze half a lemon and add olive oil. Mix everything.
Couscous salad is ready to serve. You can also refrigerate the salad for couple hours and serve cold.
Couscous salad can be packed in lunchbox and taken for day outings. I generally soak couscous with vegetable stock, lemon juice and olive oil in a lunch box while carry canned corns, raw salad vegetables and nuts separately. You could add salt & pepper in the soaked couscous or carry with you in a pouch.
It’s nice and fun to prepare your lunch plates while you are at picnic. Someone can chop the vegetables for you and you can instantly mix everything and prepare meal for everyone. Don’t forget to carry a knife for chopping though 😉 Here is a picture from one of our day outs.