Baingan ka bharta Recipe: Everyday cooking
Baingan ka bharta is popular dish in North and central India. It’s easy to cook, filling and can be served in maincourse or as side dish, which makes it a good candidate for your one of the day to day meal option 🙂 .Serve it with chapatis and pair with other dishes- dal or raita for a complete meal.
Baingan ka bharta is usually served in traditional Maharashtrian thali as well.
Enjoy the step by step recipe to cook baingan ka bharta and share feedback with me.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- eggplant/baingan: 1 large size/500 gm
- garlic: 2-3 cloves, chopped fine
- ginger: 1 inch piece, chopped fine
- onion: 1 large size, chopped fine
- tomato: 1 large size, chopped fine
- green chilli: 2 medium size, chopped fine
- peas: 1/2 cup (optional)
- asafoetida/hing: a pinch
- cumin seeds: 1 tsp
- mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
- red chilli powder: 3/4 tsp
- turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
- coriander powder: 1 1/2 tsp
- salt: 1 tsp or according to taste
- oil: 3 tbs
- coriander leaves: for garnishing
- Grease the eggplant/baingan with oil and poke it at multiple places all over with help of knife or fork.
- Roast the eggplant on open flame till it’s cooked. Keep rotating the eggplant time to time so as to let it cook evenly.
- Once the eggplant gets roasted evenly and its skin starts peeling off easily, take it off the flame and let it cool for few minutes.
- Peel off the skin from the eggplant. Mash the flesh well with the help of a knife. Keep the minced flesh aside.
- Add oil in pan/kadhai on medium flame.
- As oil becomes hot, add asafoetida/hing followed by mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds crackle, add chopped ginger-garlic followed by green chillies. Toss for few seconds.
- Add chopped onions. Sauté till soft and transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes become soft.
- Add Peas if using. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add spices- red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix everything well.
- Add the mashed eggplant/baingan. Cook for 2-3 minutes till oil starts separating. Baingan ka bharta is ready to serve!
Enjoy the recipe and share feedback with me.