Decorating diwali diyas (oil lamps) at home
It’s great to do some creative decoration on diwali and if it fits your budget, It’s a plus point!
I made these lovely designer diyas last year.. and outcome was just amazing!!
Make several of them for yourself or present these to your dear ones.
Hope, you also like these and try out yourself.
Designer painted diyas at home:
- Clay diyas
You will easily find cheap uncoloured diyas with various designs in market.
- Acrylic Colours
Your choice of colour combinations
- Paint Brush of small and medium size
- Colour mixing plate
I used some old coffee mug for this purpose
- Water, old newspaper, cloth to wipe brush.
- Kundan or other decorative material (Optional)
1. Wash Diyas and keep them overnight to dry.
3. Chose your colour combination to apply on diya. One base colour with one or two secondary colours. If you are good with colours, You can mix two or more colours to make different shades.
4. Start painting on diya with base colour. You can apply two or more coats to give more shine. Apply contrast colour on designs. Use smaller brush to paint small designs on diya.
5. You can use some kundan or other decorative material to give your diya more aesthetic look. Use glue or fevicol to stick them.
Here are some of my creations.
- Put newspaper on floor or bed while working to avoid it getting coloured up.
- If you are using golden colour (golden dust), mix it with acrylic colour binder.
- When you are done with painting put some binder in your colours and store. This will prevent from getting them dry. Also, Wash your brushes clean and wipe before storing.
Hope, you like them!